So I quickly turned the gas stove on , peeled all the silk back on the corn, put it to roast on the open flame while I chopped the red onion, green pepper, and cilantro, while turning the corn over every now and then.
Once the corn was done, I let it rest for a couple of mins (or maybe it was just 1) and then scraped all the grilled corn jewels into the bowl, a squeeze of lemon, salt and a pinch of red chilli powder, quick toss and the salad was done! I looked at the clock , it was only 10 mins after! I had a whole luxurious 5 mins left, to breathe. You have no idea how hard 5 mins are to come by when you have a toddler in your life. I went out to sit on my swing, with a cup of cold water, let the fresh air fill my lungs and after the long but fleeting 5 mins passed, I got in my car and drove away very pleased with myself. Clearly, I'm unequitably proud of my salad, which is clearly a simple and easy one to make and not much to take pride in. But if you taste it, you will know, this salad is going to find its way in my summer cook outs and other weeknight business very often.
If you have 10 mins, give it a shot, you will not regret it!
- 1 ear of corn
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/4 red onion
- squeeze of lemon juice
- pinch of red chilli powder (optional)
- If you have a grill going, pull all the silk on the corn back and grill the corn, or for a quick roast, do as I did, directly on the flame, turning the corn every 30 secs. You will hear the corn popping, its a good sign, but turn the corn over when you do.
- Chop the bell pepper and onions in a bowl.
- Add lemon juice, pinch of red chilli powder (if using) and salt.
- Once the corn is grilled, let it rest for a couple of mins and then with a knife scrape all the corn out of the cob directly into the bowl. I felt like I was evacuating little corns out of a tall skyscraper of a cob. (I have childlike imagination.)
- Toss, let it sit for a few mins and then enjoy!