Friday, August 9, 2013

Pesto and Cheese Mini Lasagna

This week I kept looking for food inspiration high and low. I just didn't find it. Not that I wasn't cooking this week, I just wasn't inspired. My fridge was loaded with produce, cheese and bread but I didn't know what direction to go in. I wondered why. It has been a busy week - work has been demanding, home always needs some attention, a two year old is a full time job in itself. Trying to keep everyone's routine and working on fixing a toddler's sleep cycle, has taken a toll on my already taxed mind.




I did however find the time (it was me time) to read all my favorite blogs and see what everyone has been upto. The more blogs I read, the more impressed I am by the vast talent pool. I have been reading blogs for years now, but I've discovered a whole new set of wonderful blogs more recently. Besides reading these blogs, having my own blog allows me to interact with all these virtual personalities!
A lot of folks have been trying new things in their kitchens and others have been trying their hand at current trends (popsicles anyone?) But each blogger brings delight through whatever creativity they are applying in their kitchens.

As I went from blog to blog, I felt my motivation coming back, slowly. As I read the blogs, some recipes started taking shape in my mind. I found myself tinkering in the kitchen again and getting my mojo back.
It really is rewarding being around talented people. I draw so much inspiration from the wonderful blogs here and I'm so glad I'm able to participate in my small way.

This mini lasagna here, is also a great source of inspiration for me. The layers are made from wonton wrappers rather than traditional lasagna sheets. Remember, wonton wrappers are only 20 calories each! The possibilities with these wonton wrappers to make lasagna are endless. What's wonderful also is that you can make single portions of this lasagna - which works great for me.

I love basil pesto so I wanted to make a cheese and pesto layered lasagna. But I didnt want to stop there, since these are so easy to make, I also wanted to try a more traditional version with a marinara sauce. And for some reason (too many zucchinis in the fridge?) I wanted to incorporate a vegetable (zucchini). So, I ended up making two instead of one.
You will see these are so easy to make that you really could customize them to any number of people for a family dinner or for a dinner party with friends. You could let each person assemble their own and they bake it 20-25 mins, so it's ready in  good time to feed hungry folks!

PESTO CHEESE LASAGNA

I used both basil pesto and sundried tomato pesto to make layers, in addition to two types of cheeses - feta and mozzarella.

I used my bottled basil pesto but made the sundried tomato pesto -  like so. Remember , these lasagnas need very small amounts of everything, so don't make a big batch, unless you are planning on using it elsewhere.

Grind together sun dried tomatoes in oil (drain the oil), clove of garlic , 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 basil leaves and a little grated parmesan cheese.


INGREDIENTS
- 1 tbsp basil pesto, thinned with olive oil.
- 1 tbsp sundried tomato pesto
- 2 oz feta cheese
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 10-12 wonton wrappers
- grated parmesan cheese

INSTRUCTIONS
- Assembly of these lasagnas is pretty easy. In an oven safe bowl, start with a wonton wrapper and layer a small amount of basil pesto and top with another wonton wrapper.
- Layer sundried tomato pesto on top and cover it with another wonton wrapper.
- Layer on some feta cheese, then another wrapper and then mozzarella. Repeat the process with another round of all 4 layers.
- Top with more mozzarella cheese.
- Prehead oven to 350 degrees and cover the bowl with aluminium foil and bake for 20 mins.
- Remove from oven, take the foil off and bake for another 5 mins to let the cheese get bubbly on top.
- Before serving, grate some parmesan cheese on top.

PESTO MARINARA LASAGNA

This version is very similar to the one above, except I've layered with basil pesto, marinara sauce , mozzarella and zucchini.

INGREDIENTS
- 2 tbsp marinara sauce (home made or bottled)
- 1 tbsp pesto thinned with olive oil
- 1/4 medium zucchini -sliced on a mandolin
- 2-3 oz Mozarella cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese

INSTRUCTIONS
- Season the sliced zucchini with salt and pepper. I also added a little red chilli flakes. Optional.
- Layer the sauces, zucchini and cheese between each wonton wrapper, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 mins.
- Remove foil and bake for another 5 mins to get cheese bubbly and top with parmesan cheese before serving.

Note - I found the one with marinara was more moist than the one with pestos and was a lot closer to a real lasagna. If I did these over, I would've added marinara to the ones with basil and sundried tomato pestos as well. The flavors however, were lovely in both!


14 comments:

  1. Nice that you've used wonton, fun idea. A light dish.
    I know with all the craziness around, to keep us motivated itself can be a challenge. I agree completely with you on the talent part, there's so much around, shocks me(in a very good way) at times and definitely very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I enjoy just reading all these blogs and seeing what people are trying out! so wonderful!

      Delete
  2. Hey they look great! Your presentations are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I find reading blogs so inspirational! And this may inspire others to make this too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The good news it that they don't stay 2 forever! Despite my thought that stage would last an eternity I'm happy to say we've moved forward. :) Hang in there!

    Lasagna looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so good. Such a unique recipe. It's fun to read other people's blogs, but there are only a handful which click with each person.
    I have a similar pesto tomato recipe right up my alley... waiting for my MIL to leave so I can finally make some non-Indian food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just looking at the photos makes me hungry! When are you bringing these to work?

    Ria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally know how you feel. I go through those same recipe droughts. When it doubt, pesto is always a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a unique way to make lasagna! I never thought to use wonton wrappers, but I can imagine how delicious they would be. Pesto is also fantastic during summer! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is such a unique idea - need to try it. Food blog is such a wonderful place and i feel blessed to have known many people, inspiration through it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, mini lasagna! I am a sucker for anything that's mini. :) I'm glad you got your inspiration back. I hate that feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't wonton wrappers amazing? You can use them for anything. I've tried shredding wonton wrappers into "noodles" for my hot and sour soup, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving this idea and I've been craving sundried tomato pesto, so perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete